The Ward 8 World’s Greatest Sweet Potato Pie Contest at Busboys and Poets Anacostia encourages Ward 8 residents to share their amazing baking skills and tasty treats with the community and Busboys and Poets tribe.
Each entrant will receive a $50 Busboys and Poets Giftcard
10 Semi-finalists will receive a $100 Cash Prize
5 Finalists will receive a $250 Cash Prize
The grand prize winner will receive a $1000 cash prize and have their recipe featured on our Fall menu!
GUEST JUDGES INCLUDE
- Councilmember Trayon White Sr., Ward 8
- Michon Boston, Makes Me Wanna Shout Baking Challenge
- Rev. Willie Wilson, Union Temple Baptist Church
- Tim Carman, The Washington Post
- Kristina Noell, Anacostia BID
- Andy Shallal, Busboys and Poets
- Chef Furard Tate, DMV Black Restaurant Week
- Chef Shawn Lightfoot, The Whitlow Foundation
- Jaren Hill Lockridge, Southside Sweet Potato Pie Contest
more to be announced
RULES & SCHEDULE
You have taken the first step entering the Busboys and Poets’ Ward 8 World’s Greatest Potato Pie Contest. We want to make this process fair and fun. Please follow the following rules and regulations:
- All participants must be Ward 8 DC residents. It doesn’t matter how long you lived there, just that you actually live there. Not your aunt or cousin but YOU (the pie maker) actually live there.
- One entry per person.
- Limit to 25 entrants. The first 25 applicants who can meet the criteria of residency and tell us something about their pie. What makes it special? Why is it a favorite among family and friends etc?
- All fillings must be made from scratch.
- ENTRY ROUND: You will be notified by email (or phone if you do not have an email) if you have been selected. Each selected entrant will win a $50 gift certificate to Busboys and Poets.
- FRIST ELIMINATION ROUND: The event will take place at Busboys and Poets in Ward 8 (2004 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE) on Saturday, October 19th, 2019 at 10 am. During this round, you will have to make 2 pies to bring to the tasting. You are encouraged to bring family and friends to cheer you on. There will be a distinguished group of judges to taste the pies and select the 10 semi-finalists who will receive $100 and be invited to the Semi-Finalist round.
- SEMI-FINALIST ROUND: This round will take place at Busboys and Poets on Wednesday, October 23, 2019, at 5 pm. Once again you will need to bring 2 pies to taste. 5 finalists will be selected and receive $250 in cash and will be invited to return for the final round.
- FINAL ROUND AND SELECTION OF THE WARD 8 WORLD’S GREATEST SWEET POTATO PIE: The final round will take place at Busboys and Poets in Anacostia on Saturday, October 26, 2019, at 10 am. This is the final round and the winner will be selected from the 5 finalists. The winner will receive $1000 cash and their name will be published on social media and other media.
Please note that all decisions are final and strictly up to the discretion of Busboys and Poets and its management. Only 1 entry per person per round. If selected to move up to the semi-finalist and finalist round, you must use the same pie recipe as your entry. You will need to have the recipe for your pie when you arrive. The recipe must be exact and can be used to produce the same pie. No new changes in recipe will be allowed between rounds. The judges reserve the right to determine whether the recipe is something that can be duplicated or not. This contest is not open to anyone who already has a registered business that sells any food items. We reserve the right to make changes to the contest rules as needed to ensure smooth outcomes.